From: Rev John Robert Thwaytes
Thwaytes House,
P.O.Mal, Dt.Jalpaiguri,
Cell phone: 9932982001
Email: johnthwaytes@gmail.com July 1st 2010
To: The British Deputy High Commissioner
1, Ho Chi Min Sarani
Kolkata 700 071
By email to Kolkata@fco.gov.uk
Sir, Sub. My application for Indian citizenship refused
I beg leave to inform you that I applied for Indian citizenship on 30th April 2002, and my application in the prescribed form, with all mandatory enclosures, was accepted by the District Magistrate’s Office in Jalpaiguri on 6th May 2002.
However, in February 2003 I was arrested and remanded to judicial custody at Jalpaiguri Correctional Home for purposes of deportation.to
Meantime, my lawyer was able to satisfy the District Magistrate, Jalpaiguri, about my credentials, and the D.M., Dr.Subrata Gupta, I.A.S. kindly forwarded my citizenship application to the Government of India on 2nd April 2003 with his recommendation (vide Memo No.1213(A)/G dated 02/04/2003 addressed to the Secretary to the Government of West Bengal, Home (Political Citizenship) Department).
But I remained in custody, and no stay of deportation was ordered by the Government. Rather I received information from a reliable source that the Government was trying to expedite my deportation.
Therefore, in order to avoid immediate deportation, my lawyer advised me that the only option available was to renounce my British citizenship and then make a Special Leave Petition to the High Court of Kolkata to try to get a stay order against my deportation. He brought two copies of form RN1 to me in the jail office on 16th April 2003 and, after careful consideration I signed the two copies on that date.
The lawyer then submitted the two signed forms RN1 to your office in Kolkata and one receipted copy was retained for me by my lawyer. This shows your reference number T107689sF F9 28.05.03 108065, so it must have been submitted on 28th May 2003.
According to my lawyer, this renunciation had become necessary because if I were to be deported to
The Special Leave Petition to the High Court of Kolkata was successful, and dual stay orders against my deportation were issued by Hon’ble Justice Mr.Pinaki Chandra Ghosh on 22nd May 2003 and 20th June 2003, (the second order being made to clarify the fuller implications of the first, which had not been implemented as regards my release from jail custody). Not until after the second order came was I released from jail and allowed to remain resident in
Now, after waiting more than seven years for a decision from the Indian Government, today itself I have received two letters from the Government, which I have scanned and attach herewith in jpeg format so that I can send them with this email (Govt070610.jpg and Govt040510.jpg). These letters categorically refuse my application for naturalization without assigning any reasons or giving any explanations.
My position now is that of a stateless person apparently without hope of getting Indian citizenship. So I have renounced my British citizenship for nothing, except that I got seven more years to work here and make arrangements for my successors in running this project (which is a definite gain). So now, Sir, to make a long story short, I have no idea about what is the right and proper thing for me to do in this situation, and I would greatly welcome a word of guidance or advice from you as representing the British Government.
Please note that in both the attached letters from the Indian Government I am defined as a “British National” and there is no acknowledgement of the fact that I renounced my British citizenship and am, therefore, a stateless person. I have researched these matters on Internet, and I know that these are very technical and complicated terms which I can’t easily understand. But I would like to ask you if you think it is possible for me to get any kind of assistance from the British Government or from UNHCR to solve my problem.
I noticed that UNHCR pays special attention to disabled and aged stateless persons. I am 79 years old and severely disabled. Last Saturday I went for a medical checkup by a famous orthopaedic surgeon. He is Dr.R. Gopal Krishnan, Chief Orthopaedic Surgeon of Apollo Hospitals, Chennai. After checking my xrays he told me bluntly that the bones in my right hip have almost completely disintegrated, and I should go to Chennai and have correction surgery for the prosthesis that was inserted in 1993. It should be taken out, then a bone graft done from the bone bank, and, after that is successful, a new prosthesis inserted. I told him I can’t go to Chernnai because of legal problems, so he told me to contact him after solving those problems. Actually, at my age I would rather not spend a fortune on medical work of this sort. I still get around quite well with an elbow crutch and I can do my work, which is all mental and sedentary, and I do not want to be a financial burden to the people I came here to help. I am willing to take the risk that if gangrene happens to develop within the crumbling bones of my hip I will die within a week, so that at least will not be a lingering death like cancer, for example. And it would probably be accelerated by heart failure. Besides all those operations are themselves highly risky for a person of my age. I do not believe anyone can guarantee that a bone graft would work on a person of my age, who is probably a borderline case for osteoporeosis anyway.
In order to clarify my position and anticipate questions that might reasonably be asked, I would now like to go back to my personal history prior to the events so far mentioned. For this purpose I will start with a synopsis of the list dates prepared by my lawyer for submission to the High Court of Kolkata in the matter of C.R.M. 823 of 2001
“ In the matter of :
C. R. M. 823 of 2001 :
Rev John Robert Thwaytes
…Petitioner
Versus -
State of
…Respondent : ---
SYNOPSIS OF THE LIST OF DATES
1. 11.01.31 AT
2. As a baby with his parents in Date of 1st coming to
The year 1931 stayed upto 1935.
3. Again arrived on 15.9.54 and Date upto which he stayed
Stayed upto 02.12.57. in
4. 03.12.1957 Date of leaving
5. 02.06.1966 Date of re-entry in
6. 7th March 1952 and renewed Date on which his passport
From time to time. was issued.
7. 21st March, 2005. Date upto which his passport
Is valid.
8. 21st July, 2000 Date upto which visa was valid.
9. 08.02.2000 Date of making application
to the authority for
extending his Visa.
10. 11.01.2001 Date of issue of ‘Quit India’
Notice by the S.P. Jalpaiguri.
11. 25.02.2001` Date of making representation to the Dy.Secretary to Govt. of W.B.
12. 25.01.2001 Date on which his application was forwarded to the Home Dept.,Govt. of W.B. by the British Deputy High Comm.r
13. 27.02.2001 Date of F.I.R.
14. 28.02.2001 Date of his arrest.
15. 28.02.2001 Date of the order passed by the S.D.J.M. rejecting his ‘bail prayer’. “
For your ready reference, I also attach a letter dated 30-05-2002 giving full details about my passport and visa history upto that date: (vide 1 – 4.JRT30052002.jpg attached hereto).
If required I can also produce Xerox copies of all the six British passports which were surrendered to your office by my lawyer on 28.05.2003 . These are genuine, made before I went to jail, but I had no opportunity to get them attested, because my lawyer did not get attested copies made at the time he surrendered them to you. I can also produce Xerox copies of my residential permit. These are genuine, but I had no opportunity to get them attested.
From all the above it can be shown that I have spent not less than fifty years of my life legally resident in
Then, like a bolt from the blue, I got a letter from the Superintendent of Police ordering me to quit
Furthermore, since I had no valid visa and no valid residential permit, no travel agent would be allowed, according to government rules, to issue an air ticket to me, and I would also be stopped by the emigration authorities and not allowed to leave India. Only a deportation officer would be able to arrange my exit, and none had been made available.
Thirdly, at that time, I did not have enough personal money left to buy an air ticket and pay other travel expenses, since I had spent all my money for my social work projects.
Soon afterwards I was arrested for contravening the Indian Foreigners Act and jailed on 28th February 2001. I remained in jail for eight months, first as an under-trial prisoner and later as a convict, and I served my full sentence according to law. After my release I applied for Indian citizenship by naturalization process in Form Xll on 30.04.2002 but actually submitted the application with all mandatory enclosures on 06.05.2002 to the office of the District Magistrate, Jalpaiguri.
My lawyer assured me that I would not be arrested again once I had applied for naturalization, but in late February 2003 I was again arrested and consigned to Jalpaiguri Correctional Home. It took four months plus one week to get released, as already described. This time I was arrested solely for the purpose of deportation to
I also wish to make clear that I had established a domicile in
Now my situation is changing. The All India Achievers Foundation has decided to grant an award to me and my project,
During my life I have heard of many Indian immigrants to
There is more. I can prove that I am a person of Indian origin. My great grandfather, Robert Thwaytes, M.A.Cantab, was Principal of Hooghly Mohsin College, Chinsurah, and his portrait is still there in oils. In 1824 he married Mary Rylands in Kolkata. She was an Anglo-Indian. My grandfather Harry Thwaytes was born at Chinsurah. I have these and many other strong links with
Basically, I ask from
Finally, I am copying this correspondence by email to Mr.Jai Prakash Mishra, who lives in Kolkata, and I am requesting him to meet with you as my agent and representative if you so permit. He is at present Assistant General Manager in charge of the Howrah Branch of the State Bank of
With best regards,
Yours faithfully,
John Robert Thwaytes.
Typed on my computer at 8:03 PM at Mal on 1st July 2010.
John Robert Thwaytes was a criminal pedophile but concealed it until his death. I spent last 3.5 years shovelling the filth he left behind him.
ReplyDeleteRest in hell you despicable creature.